Reporting to our Chief Administrative Officer, this position will lead and be responsible for all aspects of our safety, health, and environmental programs. As such, this role will lead a direct and matrixed team responsible for all aspects of our safety and health programs to develop, promote, monitor and manage a proactive safety culture throughout our organization. Critical aspects include managing compliance and directing the development, deployment, and most importantly, the continuous improvement of our safety and health management systems.
This role will work with our directly engaged Board of Directors, CEO, Executive Leadership, and team members throughout our organization to be a safety change agent in our growing business. Therefore a demonstrated leadership presence and the ability to build strong relationships throughout the entire organization is an absolute must.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for developing, promoting, and implementing a proactive, positive safety culture throughout our organization through listening, partnership, engagement, and leadership
- Drive awareness and accountability for Safety and Health performance through all levels of our organization. Provide support across responsible functional teams, including our Safety Manager and matrixed Regional Safety Coordinators to assure compliance with internal and external requirements
- Develop, strengthen, and sustain productive and collaborative working relationships at all levels of the organization in an effort to promote proactive and consistent use of the Safety Organization.
- Establish and implement Global Safety and Health goals and objectives aligned with company and operational goals and objectives
- Partner with internal and external resources to identify and implement improvements to our manufacturing and logistics equipment and processes to reduce risk of injury through integration of safety and ergonomic improvements into equipment design.
- Drive continuous improvement in the implementation of systems to collect, monitor, analyze, and evaluate predictive and lagging indicators that measure and report on the effectiveness of our programs and reduce process variance. Facilitate consistent real time reporting and sharing of safety matters, tools, etc.
- Collaborate with site leadership and risk management to manage the reporting and investigation of all accidents/incidents and ensure effective corrective measures are implemented
- Lead our company’s environmental management programs, processes, and compliance
- Ensure regulatory compliance with country, state, and local regulations by staying current on potential impact of proposed legislation and develop plans for compliance
- Design and monitor effective safety training for existing and new hire employees
- Ten to fifteen (10 - 15) years of progressively responsible safety and health experience at both a site and enterprise level.
- Experience in the design, management, and administration of safety and health programs resulting in a transformed safety culture
- Possesses relentless passion and tenacity on proactive safety culture with the ability to constructively and accountably translate into behavioral and procedural improvement, engagement, and results throughout an organization
- Strong analytical and critical-thinking skills to identify, monitor, and respond to developing internal and external trends across a broad array of safety, health, and environmental programs.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Federal and State regulations impacting safety and health programs.
- Tactical expertise and knowledge of safety program systems, processes and tools, gained through a career of increasing responsibility in safety.
- Superior organizational, project/process management, kaizen, six sigma, root cause analysis and technical skills as demonstrated by an ability to manage multiple detailed projects and drive towards deadlines.
- Related licenses, certifications, and/or memberships in professional associations preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in related field is required.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
The Person (Highest Priority)
The successful candidate must bring high level of ethical, intellectual, professional, and personal values that complement the team
A collaborative leader who is confident and assertive in style, but respectful of others. Team-oriented with the ability to build deep relationships and earn the respect of others
- A critical thinker with a continuous improvement approach to completing work
- Possesses strong technical, project & time management, and analytical skills
- Ability to foster strong team morale and brings fun to the workplace; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue
- Models our ADS Leadership Attributes:
Sets our Agenda
- Develops distinctive and vivid strategies and goals
- Translates and communicates strategy into simple, actionable plans, priorities, and trade-offs
- Anticipates and foresees obstacles and opportunities
- Aligns the organization by establishing a compelling sense of purpose and mission
- Conveys an unwavering firmness and consistency in actions
- Maintains a long-term global view while managing day-to-day issues
Raises the Bar
- Sets high expectations for the business, people, and self
- Communicates expectations directly, openly, and timely
- Drives accountability for continuous improvement
- Measures and monitors progress and results
- Quickly makes hard choices and difficult decisions
- Develops teams of high caliber people with diverse capabilities
- Coaches team and people how to stretch and excel
- Creates a confident, innovative, and winning atmosphere
- Visible and out-front with leadership presence
- Energizes and excites the team through listening and showing a genuine caring for the team and team members
- Takes work seriously but not themselves – knows how to have fun
- Empowers people with the opportunity and latitude to grow, take risks, make mistakes, contribute and learn
- Recognize and reward individuals along the way and celebrates milestones
Finds a Way
- Relentless, resilient, and fierce in approach to winning
- Breaks down barriers and removes bureaucracy
- Focuses on solutions not problems
- Makes immediate decisions when sufficient but not all information is available
- Faces reality head-on and rapidly makes adjustments to deliver commitments
- Operates with a boundary-less attitude
- Integrates efforts across units and functions
Enable our ADS Core Values
- Consistently models our expressed expectations and standards
- Builds relevancy and impact of our core values in actions and activities
- Engages and listens to the team to identify and remedy gaps
- Earns the trust and respect of all ADS stakeholders
- Reliably meets or exceeds commitments
- Is accountable for outcomes and doesn’t rationalize shortfalls
- Has explicit contingencies in place for underperformance
- Maximizes the leverage from unanticipated opportunities
- Delivers quality performance that appropriately balances short and long term stakeholder interests
- Demonstrates strong operational and executional skills